Jump Kick Punch! Ep.94: Crying Laser Tears

Play

Today’s lesson: Snikt Bub 101.

Brandon, Josh and Zack fulfill the show’s long-ignored quota for superheroes with a detailed summary of Marvel’s first issue of the Avengers vs. X-Men crossover event, the seventh-month-status of DC’s New 52, and some off-the-rails comic talk in general. Plus, some more Versus scenarios (including a BBC/American TV tussle and a cross-Ghostbusters showdown) and a few listener emails– including a rather lengthy discussion about D&D!

Hit the jump for this week’s related images!

29 comments for “Jump Kick Punch! Ep.94: Crying Laser Tears

1. Cody
    April 17, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I would absolutely love to see a list of comic book authors and artists to look out for. right now i’ve been thumbing my way through some of the ultra classic stuff (mostly alan moores better known titles, as well as the more famous batman stuff) but since you guys recommended Atomic Robo, i picked that series up, and completely fell in love with it. since you’re guys tastes seem to be so congruent with my own, i would love to know what else you recommend.

1 likes

• Cody
      April 17, 2012 at 11:49 PM

well fuck, thats the last time i reply to your reply to a podcast before i finish the actual podcast. dammit, ignore that. sorry

• Brandon
        April 18, 2012 at 12:16 AM

No worries. Consider that a request well noted!

2. Andrew
    April 18, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Intermission song is more than likely from a game I have never played. I’m thinking Sega genesis with a hint of Louisiana.

• Brandon
      April 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Sega Genesis, yes.

Search your heart, Andrew.

3. nik
    April 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM

-before break music

maybe it’s just me, but I thought that let’s say 6 people work on the story in comics and 1 draws everything, not the other way around.
    I don’t have a drawing/art background (but design is close enough), so I’m not sure if I can say this, but haveing someone draw the outlines and other people do the coloring, is like makeing a game half way and giveing it to another studio, except it they are in sync all the way or the stile fits…but if under a contract, then tough luck

I watched spider-man like crazy around 2002-08( I think) when it was on FoxKids/Jetix/DisneyXD(wtf is going on with the channel) and till now, what I saw in spider-man, I thought that a lot of heroes/villains originated from the series( I thought spider-man was a really fresh thing, untill I found you guys and 4chan).
    Also I thought that cat woman was a test subject for the captain america potion thingamabob. Later, the cat woman movie came out, I was kinda scratching my head, on why they changed the way she looks and the origin, but now I see that I should get into hero comics, or just go with the mainstream and not go wtf when I learned that a potion can give you bad luck powers…I’m sticking with video games for now :D

And a +1 for the super hero books thing Zack and Josh=)

• nik
      April 18, 2012 at 2:04 PM

-after the break

the D&D stories Zack told… I thing I got a 6 pack from laughing xD

The 100th podcast you say…hmm…gonna work on that

1 likes

• Josh
      April 19, 2012 at 4:31 AM

The schedule of comics dictates that the work has to be split up among as many people as possible. Rare is that artist that pencils and inks his own things, rarer still are ones that do all the art chores.

It’s just as well: I stink at color, but have strong line-work. Other people go straight to color with only some basic sketches down. The only time it doesn’t work is when you have an inker who’s more experimental artist than tracer. Klaus Janson has never put down a line in his life that hasn’t ruined something for someone somewhere, for example.

Meanwhile over in Japan, comics aren’t in color at all save for a couple pages every once in a while. Since chapters get sent in weekly, artists mainly just do the bulk of the line art and have assistants do effects and backgrounds. Of course, artists tend to write their comics over there as well, which is almost unheard of over here.

• andrew
      April 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Black Cat is from spider-man(Marvel Universe) Cat woman is from bat man(DC Universe). I think thats what got you confused. If you arent familiar with comics, like you said, it can be annoying to keep em separate. I hope that might help your scratching head.

• Patrick
        April 19, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Honestly they are so close to the same character that it’s an understanding mistake, that wouldn’t be a ba versus scenario although I think it’s been done before.

• Ben
          April 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM

It hasn’t been done before(not from me anyway), but it has been added to my slush file and may eventually get sent in.

1 likes

• Patrick
          April 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM

good to know on both counts :D

also IGN just dropped this out:

Not bad picks, Josh/Zack you will be happy to know that it is 100% Loeb free although they do throw Bendis in a bunch. The way Bendis works for me is the BS banter and character interactions (my favorite is in Dark Avengers when they are all chilling in the tower just annoying eachother) this is why he works best in my opinion with Spidey. Also he can come up with some cool arc concepts but he cant finish them for crap (see Illuminati all the way to Seige, great starts lead to worst endings)

1 likes

• nik
        April 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM

it got easier, but now I realized that I can name only the characters in Batmans universe, like Robin, Joker, Penguin, Riddler… and I know a lot more characters from the Marvel universe…
        Are there in general more Marvel cartoons, or they are simply not available where Im from for example

4. Ben
    April 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Just because a lot of the list is obscure comics doesn’t mean you should shun the list while Tom and Harrison are around. I made sure to include less obscure comics stuff, TV, movie and video game characters. There’s just a lot of minor characters, or match-ups that were somewhat topical when the list was written(September), or understandably forgotten you have to sift through to find the Tom and Harrison safe gems.

Podcast recommendations:
    Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History- Its a history lesson given by someone who, obviously, loves history. Inconsistently released, but he could teach JKP a thing or two about what a long episode looks like.

Escape Pod- Weekly Sci-Fi short stories. Quality of those stories are highly variable, but they are written by professionals who have been published so it isn’t amateur hour.

Jay and Silent Bob Get Old- Less “all the cum in my flesh lights” and Adam Eve commercials, more Kevin and Mewes shooting the shit and Mewes based puns. There’s some audience interaction, reoccurring bits but its mostly a Jay monologue with Kevin acting as moderator and peanut gallery.

Scott Sigler Audiobooks- New York Times best seller giving away his books for free in weekly episodic format. Not high literature, think a less prolific Stephen King with more blood.

Skeptoid- Debunks paranormal events/phenomena in convenient ~20 minute chunks.

• Brandon
      April 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM

The list is not intentionally shunned for T/H. When reduced to a three-man podcast there’s just much more room in the show for those to be addressed. I look forward to getting to Tom and Harrison’s personal lists in the near future.

Also, you weren’t kidding about Dan Carlin. Holy cow.

• Patrick
        April 24, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I get what your saying about Rob Paulsen’s Talking toons, he does tend to gush all over the guest but hearing their story and the character voices tend to make up that for me. Also I doubt he could run the show any differently since the future of his career is predicated on the opinion certain people in power have of him, unlike Kevin Smith who doesn’t give a shit.

• Patrick
      April 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Im going to check these out too.

Escape Pod has been one I have been listening to for a while along with their sister podcast. They have some awesome episodes and I like that they touch on Union Dues which is a great superhero story.

I woud also say the megas podcast is great but they rarely update, I doubt they could keep a weekly scheduled podcast entertaining enough for people to keep listening to it

5. MistaJ
    April 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Actually, Spider-Men will be the first Ultimate and 616 crossover. The UFF Brandon erroneously cites was teased as a UM/616 crossover, but actually was a Ultimate/Marvel Zombies crossover. Then there was a Marvel Zombies/616 crossover with some of the same zombies, IIRC, in Black Panther.

Great DnD stories, basically proving it should be considered.

Be checking your mail. Oxford is fine w/ Zack getting mail there, right?
    Still not creepy.

1 likes

• Brandon
      April 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM

WELP. I sit corrected. Thanks for pointing the UFF error out, shouldn’t have spoken in authority without having read the actual arc. (On the other hand, I’m glad I didn’t, since I’ve never been a fan of the Marvel Zombies schtick.)

I’ll give Zack a heads-up about a delivery at Oxford, as well.

• Patrick
        April 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM

the UFF and first 2 MZ books aren’t horrible. I can’t believe they made it to book 6. That series has way too much hype

• MistaJ
        April 19, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I’ve never personally met anyone who read any of the Zombie books, so, much like The Land Before Time, its continued existence as a franchise is a mystery to me. Thankfully Google exists for answering questions about awful things and awesome people with only minor effort and without consent.

6. April 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM

snikt bub 101 should be a real class…

The appeal of the podcast is just sitting and listening to you guys shoot the shit and being friends. I imagine a DnD game or something like it share the appeal.

also, I think the music is Quackshot on Genesis…?

1 likes

• Brandon
      April 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM

OH MY GOD NAILED IT.

Tyler, I genuinely did not think anyone would ever, ever get it.

Tune in next week for your prize.

• April 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM

My family got a Genesis when I was 4 years old, so from about 93 to 98 “Cartoon Character/Mascot Platformer” and “Videogame” were synonymous to me. Pokemon on the Gameboy was the first time I played a game that didn’t involve jumping.

What i’m saying is that I played a lot of them, so that’s usually the first place my mind goes to try to guess these. It just happened to work out this week. Still pissed at myself for not getting the Sparkster password screen, it’s a mark of shame.

• nik
      April 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I just watched a “review” of that game among others last week and it didn’t come to mind…

anyway, congrats tyler :D

• Patrick
      April 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM

wow I barely remember that game. Congrats man :D

7. Ricky Bryant
    April 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM

To answer you question about Extreme Ghostbusters (because I know its tearing you apart inside) Egon was a supporting role. But there was an episode in the latter part of the shows life where the other older Ghostbusters made a cameo appearance to help them fight some big…thing.

1 likes

8. Patrick
    April 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Looks like Zach confirmed my assumption of A vs X

the Cable and Hope trade series was called Messiah War which for the most part sucked and I did read all volumes of. I would suggest the last volume of Messiah war just because of the Uncanny Xforce/Deadpool tie in because that redeemed some of it with a giant face off between them and Apocalypse, Stryfe, and Bishop (best part is seeing Bishop die… again)

I really miss Elseworld and Marvels What if’s they were awesome and had some solid concepts for better or worse (Red Son, WWHulks, Marvel Zombies) You guys were talking one about Batman and Catwoman switching roles and for some reason I got a HORRIBLE mental image of Batman in Catwoman’s costume (basically imagine the lollypop chainsaw alt costume from last week but with a hairy dude in it… insert dry heaves and vomit sounds)

9. Perturbo
    April 19, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Good ep, I wholeheartedly support a D and D episode for # 100. You can also add large quantities of alcohol and Ben as a PC or an NPC.

Laughs or a fight are sure to follow, either way it will be entertaining.

If you want another podcast with a other feel/chemistry that JKP has, I would recommend THACO.

1 likes